Staff Meeting Summary:
- We welcome our new assistant directors for the Cherry Hill Stake, Don and Kleis Kussee. Don and Kleis are from the Cherry Hill 3rd Ward and will be serving on the Thursday morning shift.
- We welcome Larry and Nora Lloyd, from the Lakeview 2nd Ward, who will be serving on the Tuesday evening shift.
Calendar and upcoming classes:
- Monday, July 25, closed for 24th of July weekend
- July 26–29, 2016, 2016 Family History and Genealogy Conference, BYU Conference Center, Provo Utah
Working with Patrons- Ken Fugal
- Help Visitors Be Successful in Our Family History Center
- Help visitors be successful in their efforts to find their ancestors, take their names to the temple, and teach others:
- Help visitors have a positive experience.
- Make sure the center looks clean, uncluttered, and inviting for families, youth, and children.
- Ask visitors what they would like to accomplish so you can recommend the best steps to follow.
- Help visitors turn their hearts to their ancestors.
- Invite them to share stories of their ancestors, and share in their enthusiasm.
- Testify of the blessings of performing temple ordinances and building eternal family units.
- Help them find an ancestor whose name they can take to the temple.
- Help visitors learn so they can teach others.
- Adapt your instruction to their needs and capacity.
- Show them how center resources can answer their questions.
- Teach them how to do the work themselves.
- Help visitors progress.
- Invite them to continue discovering their ancestors and taking their names to the temple.
- Point out all they have accomplished.
- Encourage them to teach their families or someone else how to find the names of ancestors.
Memories- Larry Jensen
Preserving living memory and connecting with family members are important aspects of family history…. Photos of living relatives, heirlooms, and so forth, can provide powerful experiences for future generations. What is a “memory” in Family Tree? It’s a photograph, story, document, or audio recording that tells about your ancestor. Memories can make our ancestors more real to us and help us feel connected to them.
The Memories section of Family Tree provides a place where you can upload and manage memories. You can attach these memories to people in Family Tree so that everyone can enjoy them. You can also see memories added to your ancestors and cousins by other people.
Memories can be viewed and managed from two places—the Gallery page and the People page:
1. The Gallery page is organized by memory type.
2. The People page is organized by individuals associated with the memory.
- FamilySearch: Individuals of Unusual Size (IOUS) Can Now Be Merged
In the past, the Family Tree system had some limitations in merging duplicate records that had been merged many times. These were sometimes referred to as Individuals of Unusual Size or IOUS, because of the many pieces of data that had previously been merged. With the upgrade of the Family Tree system, the limitation is now gone so these large duplicate records can be merged.
- FamilySearch: Record Indexed Data Added to the Source Card
FamilySearch Sources now shows the indexed data when the source title is clicked and the source card is opened in Family Tree. You can choose to show or hide the data by clicking the show or hide link under the Indexed Data section of the source card. This feature will also be added to the source box in the next few weeks.
FamilySearch Blog What’s New on FamilySearch—June 2016
Next Staff Meeting: August 9