Staff Meeting Summary
Director Ken Fugal shared the following:
Among the wonderful blessings of knowing our ancestors, are the connections we have with them.
Regarding our kindred dead, in a Conference Report in 1916, President Joseph F. Smith said:
“…I claim we live in their presence, they see us, they are solicitous for our welfare, they love us now more than ever…and their desire for our well-being must be greater than that which we feel for ourselves.” Conference Report, April 1916, page 2-3
In D&C 84:88, the Lord has promised: “I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.”
Our daughter Molly recently shared the following with us:
Molly said, “I’d like to relate an experience that is special to me concerning family history. My husband, Mark, gives a school blessing to our children before each school year. In our daughter April’s blessing, it was said that her Grandma Jean is a guardian angel to her. She watches over April and will guide her throughout her life. Though they just missed each other in this life, what a special connection they have. April’s middle name is Jean. I think this is really cool!”
Molly continues, “Let me tell you about Grandma Jean. I had only met her a few times before she died. The first time I saw her was on my wedding day. Most of my love and appreciation of her does not come from when I knew her while she was old and tired and didn’t talk much, but the fact that she was a huge influence in Mark’s life in helping him stay active in the church and to become a great human being. Mark’s childhood often lacked good loving spiritual guidance and support and Grandma Jean filled a huge void for him. She took him to church and early morning seminary faithfully, sometimes waiting in the car during seminary.”
“So back to April’s blessing. After I heard it, I was curious about Grandma Jean’s family lines. I saw there were many ancestors yet to be found and temple ordinances to be done. I’ve been working on that the last few months. I figure if Grandma is helping April, I can help find her family. She is doing work I can’t do with April, and I am doing work she can’t do for her family right now. I’m excited to chat with her someday on the other side!”
Molly’s conclusion was, “I have a strong testimony that family history and temple work are exciting, rewarding, and very pleasing activities to our Heavenly Father. It is the work of salvation and sealing families for real people!”
- Staff Changes
- We welcome Jan Jenson who is serving on the Thursday afternoon shift. Jan is from the Sunset Heights 2nd Ward.
- Our thanks to Dennis and Lana Herre, who have been serving on Tuesday afternoon. Dennis and Lana have moved from the Lakeview 7th Ward.
- Upcoming classes: (No classes in December but youth groups can be scheduled for December 2, 9 and 16. Contact the Cuthberts.)
- November 16, 11 am-12:30 pm, Moms and Tots Doing Family History
- November 17, 11 am and 7 pm, Interviewing Family Members- Brent Gardner
- January 5, 11 am and 7 pm, Personal Stories
- Please remind patrons:
- To delete files they have saved to the desktop on the Center computers.
- Not add additional items to the bookmark bar. The bookmarks have been identified and are consistent on every computer.
- Remember to note computer or printer problems in the computer log.
- Working with Patrons– Follow up on staff skills- Pat Cuthbert asked staff members to identify the 2 top items on the staff skills list that they would like to see addressed in staff training or in classes. Upgrading Staff Skills
- Tech Tips– What the heck is Bluetooth? Click the link to view Don Kimball’s presentation: Bluetooth
- The Family History Guide- Joy Stubbs introduced a new website, The Family History Guide, that can help staff and patrons working with FamilySearch Family Tree. A bookmark for the website will soon be added to our Center computers. To watch an overview of the site click on the link: http://www.thefhguide.com/The_Family_History_Guide_Quick-Tour.mp4
For Your Information:
- New on Family Tree– In the family member section there’s a new feature attached to the edit icons that makes it easier to see and correct family relationships and add sources. For example, if the wrong mother is listed for a large family, you can now change the wife and mother in a single operation. Take a look at this link in the FamilySearch Blog to read more about it:https://familysearch.org/blog/en/features-family-members-section-correcting-relationships-easier-2/
- For those doing Danish research, you may want to take a look at mydanishancestors.com
- November 25, closed after 1 pm through November 28
- December 21 through January 1
Next staff meeting January 12