Staff Meeting Summary
Director Ken Fugal shared information on the Passing of Boyd K. Packer, Long Time Friend of Family History http://www.ancestryinsider.org/
- Our best wishes and thanks to Alma Sillito who has served on Monday mornings at the Center.
- Please add a photo of your father to our Remembering Dad bulletin board in the Center. You can email a digital copy of your photo to Cheryl. Please include your Dad’s name.
- Make sure you check out Orem Utah Sunset Heights Family History Center on Facebook and Like us.
- BYU Conference on Family History will be held July 28-31. There is a $50 discount if you are a family history consultant. On Friday, July 31, 2015, there is free consultant training. Register online at: http://ce.byu.edu/cw/cwgen/
- Tech Tips– Don Kimball- Troubleshooting the computers
- Working With Patrons– Pat Cuthbert
Sometimes we are not as busy in the Center during the summer months. Staff generated ideas on how we can use time, when we are not working with patrons, to upgrade our own skills in doing family history.
- Become familiar with the amazing apps that work with Family Tree. To access these go to the FamilySearch App Gallery at https://familysearch.org/apps/
- Do indexing
- Become more proficient in using the FamilySearch partners- Ancestry. My Heritage and Find My Past
- FS Apps– Sheryl Kempton
Sheryl shared how FamilySearch apps can assist you in quickly finding those in your family who need temple word. She explained how, even though she has pioneer lines, she uses a combination of Puzzilla and Hope Chest to find ancestors needing temple work.
150707 Finding Your Cousins
For Your Information
- Like a sports team with a lot of depth, we are trying to have each 4 staff members on every shift. This makes it easier to be gone if needed. We realize that we will not always be busy with patrons but if patrons are there, it is our first responsibility to assist them. If the Center is not busy think of the time as your dedicated time to not only work on your personal family history but also a time to upgrade your skills. Learn from others on your shift. If you don’t know how to do something, watch over the shoulder of a staff member who does. There are amazing training videos on FamilySearch and LDS.org.
- Updates to the Person Page: Research Help and Search Records Boxes on FamilySearch:
Two boxes on the Person page have been updated. The box that used to display record hints is now called Research Help and displays record hints, research suggestions, and data problems. The Search Records link has been changed to a FamilySearch.org link. When you click the link, you search the records on FamilySearch.org just as you did when you clicked the Search Records link. For more information on these changes go to:
The Center will be closed on Friday, July 24
Next Staff Meeting: August 11
Discover your Pioneers-Using LDS Records
Tuesday, July 21, 11 A.M. repeated at 7 P.M.
Instructor: Joy Stubbs
Creating Trees from FamilySearch to Share on Partner Sites
Tuesday, August 4, 11 A.M. repeated 7 P.M.
Instructor: Larry Jensen
Browsing in FamilySearch Historical Records
Tuesday, August 18, 11 A.M. repeated at 7 P.M.
Instructor: Mary Ryan
Family History Helps for Missionaries and Prospective Missionaries
Tuesday, August 25, 7 P.M.
Instructors: Ken & Cheryl Fugal