The Cherry Hill Stake Family History Discovery Day is scheduled for May 9, from 8:30 A.M. to 1 P.M. The keynote speaker is Christa Cowan from Ancestry.com. The address is 1700 South 400 East, Orem.
Staff Meeting Summary
Director Ken Fugal shared the following:
Change and Opportunity
Most of prefer little or no change in our lives. We get comfortable in our situations. However, change is inevitable. We are all affected by the recent temple boundary changes.
We love it when new temples are announced. The new Payson Temple is very beautiful. We are happy for the people in its district. Who would have thought at its announcement in January 2010, that we would be among those moved? The Mount Timpanogos Temple had 76 stakes in its boundary. The Provo Temple had 78 stakes in its boundary. The Payson Temple, which opens June 8, will have 27 stakes in its boundary. Then there is the Provo City Center Temple, which opens early next year, and it will have 16 stakes in its boundary.
To accommodate these two new temples, the Mount Timpanogos Temple will end up with 54 stakes, losing 22 from Orem, or, in other words, you and me. The Provo Temple will end up with 61 stakes, losing 23 stakes to the Payson Temple and 16 to the Provo City Center Temple when it opens, but it gains the 22 stakes from Orem.
Who said life is simple? Actually many of us are closer in distance to the Provo Temple. Now what does this mean regarding us? Look at it as an opportunity to make new friends.
(I tabulated the above numbers from the Church’s website about each of these temples)
1. New Staff
- Genan Anderson from the Lakeview 6th Ward, serving on Wednesday afternoon
- Brent Gardner from the Lakeview 5th Ward, serving Friday morning
2. We are planning to move the Thursday night classes on the 1st and 3rd weeks of the month to TUESDAY beginning in June.
- FHC Blog and Scheduling Groups: Cheryl Fugal
One of the reasons we have decided to move our classes to Tuesday evenings is to free up Thursday evening for scheduling groups. Families, quorums, Relief Societies, bishoprics and spouses or ward councils may contact Bob and Jeanne Gunnell (801-221-1349) to schedule date and time. Go to https://sunsetheightsfhc.wordpress.com/ and click on SCHEDULING GROUPS to get more information.
- Tech Tips: The Family History Center Portal– Don Kimball
You may have noticed the Family History Center Portal that comes up on the computer screen when you are in the Center. This portal provides links to genealogical resources such as the premium web sites and online film ordering, classes and workshops and one-on-one assistance. We challenge you to check it out the next time you are in the Center. Follow the links and become knowledgeable about how it can assist you and those you serve in the Center.
- Play in Other Sandboxes: Sharlene Gardner
FamilySearch has partnered now with more than three major commercial genealogy services: Ancestry.com, My Heritage, Findmypast, American Ancestors, and Family.me. Have you created an account with each of these sites? If not, go to familysearch.org/partneraccess. It is free to join, so why not take advantage of all these additional resources that can help you document your family’s records. You will always benefit from first looking for records in the FamilySearch collection, using Hints and Search Records, because of the Source Linker feature that makes attaching the sources easy. But, even if you find records in FamilySearch, don’t quit there. There are so many additional records that you can find on the partner sites, often showing more detail, leading you to a more complete and accurate picture of your ancestor. As Amberly Beck recently stated at the Mapleton FH Fair, “Play in other sandboxes. If we want to find our extended family and work together to draw the very best conclusions, we have to play in more places than just Family Search.”
For Your Information:
- Great news! We are opening Thursday night for group reservations: families, Melchizedek priesthood quorums, Relief Societies, bishoprics, etc. Bob and Jeanne Gunnell are the contact people for scheduling.
- Beginning the week of May 11, we have made a change in shift assignments:
Brooks and Libby Aagard will go to Wednesday morning.
Betty Matheney and Vernon Christopherson will go to Thursday afternoon.
- Make sure you check out Orem Utah Sunset Heights Family History Center on Facebook and Like us.
- We have a poster advertising our Center available for display at a stake or ward family history event. If anyone would like to borrow it please let us know.
Next Staff Meeting: June 9