Staff Meeting Summary
Director Ken Fugal shared the following:
The September 2002, Ensign has quotes from four past and present church leaders entitled Hope For Parents of Wayward Children. Thoughts are given by Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, Lorenzo Snow and Boyd K. Packer . Here is a link to those beautiful teachings: https://www.lds.org/ensign/2002/09/hope-for-parents-of-wayward-children?lang=eng
- We are excited to welcome Sharlene Gardner as the new assistant director from the Lakeview Stake. Sharlene is from the Lakeview 5th Ward and serves on the Friday morning shift.
- With fall we are seeing leaves tracked into the Center. Please use the roller mop in the closet to keep the carpet clean and tidy up before you leave for the day.
- We have just received a short term microfilm in the Center. Remember these short term films are in the top drawer of the film cabinet. Patrons are never to remove these films from the Center even if they say they want to take the film to another FH Center.
- There is new Family History Consultant training on LDS.org. On LDS.org go to Resources–> Family History–> Family History Callings –> Family History Consultant
- Upcoming Classes: We encourage our staff members to attend the classes. They are wonderful resources to help you be effective as a staff member and as a family history consultant.
- October 16, 7 PM and October 21, 11 AM, My Heritage- Joy Stubbs
- November 4, 11 AM and November 6, 7 PM, Source Linker-Jeanne Gunnell
1. Working with Patrons– Rod Cuthbert
Rod did a 5 minute spot on how we can help patrons to have a more spiritual experience when they visit the Center. Thoughts generated by the staff include: start your shift with prayer, ask the patron what they would lie to accomplish, greet the patrons and don’t turn your back on them, and if patrons want to work on their own be sensitive to that and don’t hover or do it for them.
2. Private Spaces on Family Tree– Cheryl Fugal
Each Family Tree user now has a private space that allows them to manage their own private information. The information in that space can only be seen by the individual user and no one else. All living people, their relationships, and their data will be stored in that space. For example, I can view information about myself and my close living relatives that I have added to Family Tree in this private space but no one else can. Information that someone else has added about living people, their relationships, and their data will be stored in their own private space. See attachment Understanding Private Spaces in FamilySearch Family Tree
3. FamilySearch and Ancestry Connected– Cheryl Fugal
Here’s what you can do with the new LDS/ Ancestry subscription:
- Create or convert a free Ancestry/LDS subscription
- Download four generations of your tree from FS Family Tree to Ancestry
- Connect people on your existing Ancestry tree to those on FS Family Tree
- Share tree information between FS Family Tree and your personal tree on Ancestry
- Collaborate between Ancestry and FS Family Tree for LDS ordinance work
- Exchange sources between your Ancestry and FS Trees (coming)
To get your new subscription or convert your old Ancestry subscription to an LDS/Ancestry subscription sign into familysearch.org. Go to Get Help–> Help Center–> Partners–> Ancestry and then follow the prompts.
For Your Information:
- Children, 13-17, need parent permission to have partner subscription (Ancestry, Find my Past, My Heritage).
- Although anyone over the age of 13 may create a FamilySearch account, the Church encourages all minors to seek parental permission before they proceed in creating an account. Children ages 8–12 may create an account only if parental consent is given during the registration process.
- If any of the computers are experiencing difficulties, please enter the information, along with your name, into the Computer Log Book in the front closet.
- Notices about unauthorized parking are starting to appear on cars in the church parking area. Make sure you give patrons a parking pass and ask them to return it when they finish at the Center.
Next Staff Meeting: November 11
- Nov 26, closed after 1 pm Nov 28, Thanksgiving
- Dec 22-Jan 1, Christmas