August 12, 2014 Staff Meeting Summary
Director Ken Fugal shared promises for temple and family history work:
“…we will be a better people, we will be better fathers and husbands, we will be better wives and mothers. I make you a promise that if you will go to the house of the Lord, you will be blessed, life will be better for you.” President Gordon B. Hinckley, Ensign July 1997
“When you attend the temple and perform the ordinances that pertain to the house of the Lord, certain blessings will come to you: You will receive the spirit of Elijah, which will turn your hearts to your spouse, to your children, and to your forebears. You will love your family with a deeper love than you have loved before. You will be endowed with power from on high as the Lord has promised.” President Ezra Taft Benson, Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson p. 254
“I promise you the Lord will bless you in your efforts, for this is His work, and He will guide your prayerful efforts to bring the ordinances and covenants to your ancestors….you can make a powerful contribution. Begin now. I promise you that the Lord will help you find a way. And it will make you feel wonderful.” Elder Richard G. Scott, Oct 1990 General Conference
- Staff Changes
- We welcome Joy Stubbs as the new assistant director from Cherry Hill Stake.
- Lynda Sorensen has been called to serve with her husband in a single adult ward. We thank Lynda for more years of service in the Center than we can count. She has been a strong presence in running the Center, heading up our class committee, doing the advertising, Wiki and blog. She will be missed.
- We welcome on staff, Vernon and Jerry Christopherson from the Sunset Heights 2nd They will be serving on Wednesday mornings.
- We have lost staff members Liliana Riboldi and Jed Robinson due to moves.
- To schedule youth groups please contact Rod and Pat Cuthbert. Suggestions for youth activities are on the blog under Scheduling Groups.
- If someone from your shift isn’t at the staff meeting please take a few minutes to go over what was learned.
- August 19, 11 AM and August 21, 7 PM, Bookmarking Favorite Sites– Susan Cosney
- September 2, 11 AM and September 4, 7 PM, Getting Help in FamilySearch/Family Tree- Debbie Seamons
- September 16, 11 AM and September 18 7 PM, Newspaper Research- Marilyn Thomsen.
1. Working with Patrons-How to help patrons have a spiritual experience-Pat Cuthbert
We have been asked by our leaders to ensure that every patron coming into the Center has a spiritual experience. Pat and the staff generated ideas on what we can do to invite the spirit.
- Always have prayer before your shift.
- When the patron is able to find a record, the Spirit of Elijah will touch them. One staff member testified that finding a name to take to the temple was one of his most spiritual experiences.
- Help people to recognize what they are feeling is the spirit of Elijah. This especially applies to working with our youth.
- Be patient and loving with the patrons you are serving.
2. Navigating FamilySearch- Cheryl Fugal Navigating FamilySearch.org
For Your Information:
- The Center library and microfilm cabinet are in the auxiliary room.
- Please make sure you are signed up to follow the Center blog so you will receive the staff meeting summary. The blog icon is located on the computer desktop.
- Computers 11 and 12 are now wired so we will no longer have to connect then to the wireless. Patron laptops can be connected to the Center wireless. The security key is the Center phone number. This information is posted on the bulletin board.
Next Staff Meeting:
September 9, 2014
- Sept 1, Labor Day
- Oct 4, General Conference
- Oct 31, Halloween, closed after 4 pm
- Nov 26, closed after 1 pm- Nov 28, Thanksgiving
- Dec 22-Jan 1, Christmas