Director Ken Fugal spoke of the work we are doing in family history as being preliminary to the reunion that will take place in the spirit world with family, friends and those for whom we have labored. Brigham Young said, “We have more friends behind the veil than on this side, and they will hail us more joyfully than you were ever welcomed by your parents and friends in this world; and you will rejoice more when you meet them than you ever rejoiced to see a friend in this life; and then we shall go on from step to step, from rejoicing to rejoicing, and from one intelligence and power to another, our happiness becoming more and more exquisite and sensible as we proceed in the words and powers of life (DBY, 379–80).
May 13, 2014 Staff Meeting Summary
- Most of you know that our amazing Don Engstrom and his sweet wife will be moving. Don is an assistant director and has been on staff at Center for many years. He will be serving until the end of May. We will be recognizing and paying tribute to him at our at our June staff meeting. We love you Don.
- Craig Doxey is our new computer specialist. Craig is from the Sunset Heights 2nd Ward. We welcome Craig.
- My Family Booklets are available in the closet for staff to occasionally hand out to patrons. Keep in mind that these booklets are costly so we are not able to give multiple copies to missionaries or patrons. They are available at the Distribution Center at $1 per booklet.
- If you have not yet received an invitation from FamilySearch to sign-up for a free account with Ancestry.com, Findmypast and MyHeritage, you will be receiving one soon.
May 15- Family History Activities for Youth, 7 pm, Rod Cuthbert
May 20- Family History Activities for Youth, 11 am, Rod Cuthbert
June 3- Descendency Research, 11 am, Sharlene Gardner
June 5- Descendency Research, 7 pm, Sharlene Gardner
1. Working with Investigator Patrons– Being Better Prepared-Pat Cuthbert
Pat related that just as John the Baptist had a responsibility to prepare a group of people to receive the Lord, We are now a part of preparing a people for the second coming of the Lord. Read Luke 1:17 and see how it applies now to us. “And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord. (Luke 1:17)”
Pat said, “I have a great deal of respect for everyone here who contributes to the center, for we are all volunteers in the kingdom to help a people prepare for the Lord. Since we are preparers, we have a great need to be prepared ourselves. We have regular classes here each month prepared by our staff themselves. I invite you to take more advantage of these classes so when we are doing our shifts, we can be of greater help to give the patrons a success experience. This is holy work we are involved with and we can all learn more on a regular basis to further the work we have felt is ours to do.”
2. Scanning Photos and Documents Directly to FamilySearch at the FHC– Lynda Sorensen
Lynda demonstrated how to use the Lexmark printer/scanner to scan photos and documents directly to Family Tree. The instructions are under the printer.
3. British Research– Cheryl Fugal
Cheryl shared a PowerPoint on the 3 major record groups that serve as the basis for research in the United Kingdom.
For Your Information:
Brother or couple to work Monday afternoon
Brother or couple to work Wednesday morning
Brother or couple to work Thursday morning
Individual or 2 couples to work Thursday evening
If you know of someone, perhaps a family history consultant in your ward who would be available, please let us know and we will contact our priesthood leaders.
- May 24-May 26, Memorial Day weekend
- July 4-5, Independence Day Weekend
- July 24, Pioneer Day
June 10, 2014